Fix Trudeau’s Pipeline Failures
Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and the Leader of the Official Opposition, the Hon. Andrew Scheer, laid out a two-step plan to get the Trans Mountain Expansion built and the steps a Conservative government will take in 2019 to undo the damage Justin Trudeau’s failures have caused.
“After years of failing to deliver results on the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Expansion, Justin Trudeau and the Liberals still have no plan of action to get the pipeline built.”
Four pipeline projects were completed under the previous Conservative government without spending one cent of taxpayers’ money. These include Enbridge’s Alberta Clipper, Trans Canada’s original Keystone pipeline, Kinder Morgan’s Anchor Loop, and Enbridge’s Line 9B Reversal. Together, they ship 1.2 million barrels of western Canadian oil every single day.
“The only thing that has changed between then – when pipelines were proposed, approved, and actually built – and now – when pipelines are suffocated to death by government overreach and incompetence – is Justin Trudeau becoming Prime Minister of Canada.”
What a Conservative government will do in 2019
• Repeal the Liberal Carbon Tax
• Repeal Bill C-69, the Anti-Pipeline Bill
• End the ban on shipping traffic on the North Coast of British Columbia
• Enact legislation that will:
Clarify the roles of proponents and governments that are involved in consultations:
- Ensure that standing is given only to those with expertise or who are directly impacted by the project in order to end foreign-funded interference in regulatory hearings; and
- Provide certainty to investors on approval timelines and schedules.
- Use the federal declaratory power to declare a major project ‘for the general advantage of Canada’ under Section 92.10 of the Constitution Act, 1867, where we deem it necessary for future projects.